A fairly girl Reunion, Ben Affleck’s cool Feet and a $17 Million Payday: 20 Secrets About Runaway Bride Revealed
by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It had been the film 10 years within the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty girl made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into certainly one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic on-screen set finally reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere yet again teamed up along with their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, whom died in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a little city woman therefore afraid of dedication that she is dashed through the altar 3 times together with jaded divorced magazine columnist determined to see her run for a 4th time. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted into the theater to look at pair’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which was in fact into the works for over ten years with numerous other superstars connected to star at some time, a more impressive blockbuster hit than Pretty girl, that was released in 1990.
But simply since it made more cash than Pretty Woman does not mean it had been more lucrative, as Runaway Bride did not captivate critics (making just a 46 % fresh on bad Tomatoes) as well as had certainly one of its movie stars later on admitting it simply did not capture the miracle of the past movie. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out just weeks before.)
Nevertheless, as a result of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both separately and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed an area as you of Hollywood’s many suffering romantic comedies, even though it absolutely was hardly ever made along with an ending that is different one point.
Through the A-listers which were initially designed to star within the film in 1991 to Roberts’ very very own experience as a runaway bride, listed here are 20 enjoyable facts you will possibly not realize about Runaway Bride.
1. Although the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to own their Pretty Woman followup, Runaway Bride ended up being really when you look at the works well with over 10 years, with numerous other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and journalist that is cynical.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford were set to lead the movie, however it dropped apart if the very first manager brought in had problems with the script. Within the next years that are few movie stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson had been all into the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock ended up being enthusiastic about playing Maggie and urged the task ahead. Until she then had some hesitations—much like Maggie together with her suitors—and had been away, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in speaks to take control, using the studio liking the concept of a more youthful few. Nevertheless when Affleck passed, one of several manufacturers made a decision to approach Gere.
3. As he liked the script, Gere had one condition the studio needed to satisfy before he finalized on to try out Ike: «when you can get Julia, i am in.» Roberts, who’d initially been not sure associated with the film whenever she read a past form of the script years prior, chose to take another appearance. And after having a call along with her old Pretty Woman man that is leading the film movie movie movie stars had been prepared to reunite.
«People have already been looking to get them right straight straight back together for nine years,» studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The Los Angeles circumstances. «And unexpectedly it happened—it ended up being all settled in a week.»
4. The next call ended up being one Gere and Roberts will have to make together, because they needed to pursue their Pretty Woman director to help make the reunion officially complete by directing their love story yet again. There clearly was one hitch however, as Marshall had guaranteed to simply simply take their spouse to Australia for the much-needed holiday.
«They said, ‘Get off the telephone, you want to confer with your spouse,» Marshall recalled into the book. «They informed her things such as, ‘ just just How many times do we get to be able to repeat this?’ and, ‘we are going to just simply simply take proper care of him,’ so finally I stated, ‘OK, we’ll get it done.'»
5. The trio’s provided history made shooting Runaway Bride a fairly experience that is stress-free the trio, with Marshall noting a modification of their main character, now armed with a decade of expertise on sets sufficient reason for stardom.
«Richard have been extremely careful on Pretty Woman, but this time around he was much more ready to be funny,» the director stated. «Mostly we chatted inside our very very own shorthand that is little. All I experienced to complete ended up being yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.'»
6. The movie’s budget soared to $70 million, an unusually high number for a romantic comedy after getting A-listers Roberts and Gere on board. As well as back-end gross on the movie, Roberts received $17 million on her behalf dashes through the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The movie movie movie stars shown worthy of these big paydays, as Runaway Bride started at # 1 in the package workplace, attracting a weekend total of around $35 million, definitely the most useful opening ever for a Roberts movie at that time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million globally), learning to be a blockbuster hit, it received not as much as stellar reviews, with Gere later on looking straight right right back in the film in an meeting with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, «Whatever that secret was at the very first movie, you cannot make that take place. While there is some wonderful material in the film, it surely did not have the secret for the very asian match first one. The expectation it was likely to have that exact same form of delicious magic had been irresponsible. It had been an unusual film, it had been a different sort of time, she was in a different sort of destination, I became in a different sort of spot.»
8. Production descended upon the tiny city of Berlin, Md., making it the fictional and quirky Hale, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million to the neighborhood economy, upped the true property market and very nearly doubling tourism following the movie’s launch.
«We have been completely astonished,» Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun associated with impact the film had around town of simply 3,000 individuals. «the film ended up being the Midas touch that introduced our city to numerous individuals. It place us from the map.»
9. As soon as called «America’s Coolest Small Town» by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere automobile continues to be a place of pride for Berlin, because of the city holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the twentieth anniversary.
«People are presented in and so they would you like to hear, ‘Hey do you can get to satisfy Richard Gere? what is Julia Roberts like? Can the house is seen by us? Where had been the bridal shop?'» Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. «We thought guess what happens, we will supply the individuals what they want and so they like to commemorate the film so we’re likely to take action up for the twentieth anniversary.»